Every Spring my husband hosts his friends for a three day golf tournament. Even though hosting can be exhausting, I always look forward to spending time with this group of guys. In addition to being hilarious, they are so appreciative and kind. I normally am just responsible for preparing breakfasts and snacks – they eat lunch at the club between rounds and dinners options normally depend on how exhausted they are from their day of competition.
This year, I inflicted my new vegan recipes on the group. From chickpea frittatas, Irish soda bread, blueberry banana bread, melon mint salad, pancakes – to name a few. The top recipe was this banana bread… the melon mint salad was a close second.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 9 x 5 Loaf Pan
- 1 ¾ cup gluten-free flour or spelt flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or finely chopped dates
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce or flavorless coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups bananas mashed
- ¾ cup almond milk only use if necessary
- ⅔ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients – mash the bananas, then add the applesauce and vanilla – mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just mixed. Over mixing will make the dough elastic/gummy. If the dough is too thick, add in the milk. The heavier
flours – whole wheat and spelt may require the milk.Fold in any add-ins – if desired – and/or sprinkle the top of the loaf with sugar.Pour batter into a greased or parchment lined 9×5 loaf pan. Bake for about 50-60 minutes or
until a toothpick placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 min before placing on a wire rack.